Monday, August 19, 2013

I Love My Mission.

I just love the effect my mission has had on me, especially the last few weeks.  I see so much joy in it and I am eternally grateful that I am out here.  It is a great blessing that I wouldn't trade for anything.  I will miss it probably the day after I am released.  Luckily I have just over 3 months left.  :)
 
České Budějovice is great!  It is so nice to have the Chrdlovi family back from England.  They are a great help.  Last Tuesday we went to their house for dinner.  They are a great family and they help me to feel at home.  We have been running Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings with Brother Chrdle.  I miss running and it is hard to get up and start running unless you have someone who is waiting for you.  We meet him at his house and run a 5k (3.1 miles).  Half way through we stop at a giant tree outside of the city and do push ups and talk about the members, investigators and how we can help the branch the most.  He is a great member.  He used to do this every morning with missionaries in the past.  On the way back, the last mile we time ourselves.  I am currently at a 5.01 mile.  It is about 25 seconds off of my high school record.  I was pleased at my time for not having trained deeply for about 2 years.
 
The senior couple we thought were coming are still in the MTC waiting for their visas.  As an added duty to our missionary responsibilities, we found them a nice apartment to live in.  Missions really do prepare a person for the real world.  I have learned how to take care of my self, cook (my mom taught me most cooking though), talk to people on the streets, work from 6.30am to 10.30pm, look for a house, etc.  It is nice.  I am sure though that real life as a normal person is still a lot different.
 
Last Thursday we did a district activity.  We 4 missionaries went to a busy part of town and drew a map of the world with chalk on the sidewalk.  We then placed the Book of Mormon where the Americas are and the Bible where Jerusalem is.  We tried to contact people in this way.  We have been wanting to do district activities for a while but a singing display is difficult with 4 people because half the people would be gone to contact while the other 2 are left to sing a 4 part song.  The chalk activity was a success.  We didn't get any meetings set up but we were able to get our message out to a lot of people, even after we left.  The chalk is probably still there.  :)
 
We had another branch BBQ on Friday.  It went well and we had a nice turn out.  Saturday we had a quick lesson with someone and then went to sports day.  We had a great turn out of people there too.  One of them we my try to teach soon.  The main thing that happened on Saturday was a small miracle.  It came by replacing fear with faith to the point that when something 'frightening' comes we immediately go into faith mode and the fearful thing has NO effect on us.  In the past I would have a strong feeling to contact someone, but as they got closer, I would loose my courage and get nervous.  My fear had one.  Last Friday, my faith one.  Elder Greener and I were on our way to an appointment.  We were in a little bit of a hurry too.  Being Saturday, there was almost no one on the street.  Suddenly around the corner came Lena from Latvia.  About 50 meters away we saw her and got the feeling 'Contact Her.'  We both decided to contact her, so as she came closer, we introduced ourselves.  She wasn't interested much but then started to talk about the Book of Mormon.  We got her interest.  We offered her a quick tour of our building just on the other side of the city center.  We said we would give her the Book of Mormon there in her language as well.  She agreed and we did as we said.  We told her about church too and invited her.  Sunday comes around and she is there before us.  Church was good.  I had a talk about the Book of Mormon.  Also something great was that we had 23 people including 3 dutch members that travelled an hour to come to church.  The branch is growing!!!  Well, back to Lena.  After sacrament meeting I asked her if she understood what was said at church.  She said a little.  Then I asked her how she felt.  She said 'I feel in my heart a new light.'
 
I have a testimony that this church is true and that no matter what the language is, God loves us all just the same and will offer us spiritual experiences is we come ready and willing.  Lena is now meeting with us and has been reading the Book of Mormon since she got it.
 
Everyone have a great week.  Invite someone to church this week, or if you are not a member click here to for more.
Hodně Štěstí!
 
Elder Bahr



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment