Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ahoj, z Česka Republika!!

Wow, I have had a crazy last few days.  After many hours of travel, I am in the Czech Republic now!!
 
I have so many things to say and so little time, but here it is...
I know I said that I would post pictures today, but I did not have time to unpack my bags and find my cord to my camera.  I will next P Day.  P Day is Monday here.
 
I saw a few people recently.  I saw my good friend Amanda Tomlinson at the temple.  I almost did not recognize her.  It was good though.  I also saw a friend from Salem, Brice Davis.
 
So while at the MTC, I had a few goals.  I was going to run a 4.30 mile and break the record... I played basketball the whole time and never got around to it.  The other goal was to sing for everyone at the MTC.  I did not realize that I had so little time to audition and perform until it was too late... and the song I wanted to sing was already chosen.
 
We got to finally host new missionaries!!!  As I did it, I got SO excited for other missionaries coming in.  It brought back memories to when I arrived there.  I hope they enjoy it!
 
At our feild orientation, I go to be in the play they have.  I was a ward missionary.  It was a fun character I played and the lines were pretty much improv, so it was great.  Also during the field orientation, we got to use iPads and iPods to watch videos and listen to some audio to tell us history and help us learn.  It was interesting using them as a missionary...  A really cool experience I heard about during the field orientation was about how when President Monson was a mission president, his elders we tracting and came across a man by the name of Mr. Pollard.  He invited the missionaries in and started asked if they could pray.  He did and had prayed that the missionaries would go home and stop wasting time.  The elders left after the man said to leave and as they walked away, the junior companion stopped and said that they should go back.  They did and a bit later President Monson heard in sacrament meeting, this story and a testimony by this same man, Mr. Pollard.  The entire family of Mr. Polard was converted.  This reminded me of a quote by a good friend Elder Draper... "Replace fear with faith."  If we forget about our fears of being rejected, we will have the help of the Lord.
 
Now to tell you about my flight.  We flew from Salt Lake City, UT to Chicago.  After an hour layover, we flew across the Atlantic to London, England.  It was a long flight, but I had to wonderful opportunity to speak to a 29 year old man from Chicago going to the Netherlands for a job interview to be an assistant professor.  We spoke about how we receive inspiration from God and how we can ask God for answers.  I said it is through feelings and he said it was our mind choosing the best or most wanted option.  Although he was very intelligent and had logical answers, I testified to him and told him experiences I had relating to this topic.  By the end of our flight, I said how there are some missionaries in Chicago that would love to talk to him and I asked for his contact information.  He disagreed that they would love to talk to him because he has his logic and intelligent opinions, but he gladly gave me his contacts.  I am glad we have the organization in this church where we can give referrals all over the world to other missionaries in their area.  After I got into London, we had a 5 hour layover, then we flew to Prague!!
 
As I landed, I thought to myself "Why am I here?"  I then looked down at my name tag and saw the name of Jesus Christ and new why I was here.  I am happy to be a missionary.
 
When we got to Prague we left the airport.  One companion, the British one, lost his pass port and could not make it through.  We called the airplane and they found it there on his seat.  Then we went to the mission home and met our mission president.  He is the BEST!!!!  We went on a Prague walk with the APs and saw some cool things then went to dinner and got some REALLY GOOD FOOD.  We came back and went to a Bed and Breakfast and went to sleep.  I slept really well.
 
This morning we got up and went back to the mission home for breakfast then we got our companions!!!  My companion and trainer is Elder Gibson.  We are serving in Ostrava.  We registered with the foreign police and left for our city.  There was a little confusion with the foreign police.  I was already registered at an address for some reason.  Not a problem though.  Then we took a train to our city and are now getting settled in.
 
All is well and I am excited to serve.  It is crazy here and definitely different.  As I continue to do well and replace fear with faith, I will grow to love the people and have the best time of my life.  I love you all!!  Talk to you Monday.
 
Starší Bahr



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment